Thursday, January 28, 2010

Superman vs. Jesus

During my devotional time today - which is all too few and far between - I was reading about how Jesus was FULLY human.  It directed me to read Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12 - likely one of the most famous Messianic passages from the Old Testament.  There are some interesting thoughts around this question:  What was life like for Jesus as he was growing up?
"He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.  Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not."
There are times when I may not have been popular, and certainly experienced suffering in my lifetime; but I don't think I can ever say I've been "despised!"  But our Savior was!
"Those who sit at the gate mock me, and I am the song of the drunkards."
I have certainly been mocked before - both in my childhood and adult life - but I can't say I've ever been a "song of the drunkard!?"   But our Savior was!

I then got to thinking, what life would have been like for Jesus growing up?  Did these things take place as a kid, teenager, adult????  Here's an analogy...

Remember the original Superman Movie???  You know, the one with Christopher Reeves????  [Yes, I'm THAT old!]  As Clark Kent, Superman was just an ordinary kid who was made fun of and put down.  He didn't play any sports or show himself to have any special talent.  But underneath that, he was The Man of Steel!  He could do just about anything - including FLY!!!!!!

I wonder if Jesus was picked on and made fun of as a teen???  Did he keep his Lordship under raps??? Underneath the exterior of the Son of Man, was the King of Kings!  One who would save the world!!!

I guess what I'm getting at is that no matter what you've been through, God has been through worse!  No matter what you've done, God has been there!  Remember that as you go through your day!

1 comment:

  1. Great way to put it and a great reminder that the Lord knows exactly what we feel when we're upset, discouraged, mocked, ridiculed, etc. because he's been through it all and even more severely than most of us could ever imagine. How blessed we are to be loved by a God who knows us so well.

    ReplyDelete