Thursday, April 29, 2010

Noticer - The Movement

I ran across an author today after he "followed" me on Twitter - his name is Andy Andrews.  Andy is an author and speaker who has begun quietly influencing some of the most well-known people in the world.  His most recent work - The Noticer - is a allegoric, fictional work written from his own story.  While homeless and living in garages and under a pier in Southern Alabama...
"...a mysterious old man named Jones has a miraculous way of showing up. A man of indiscriminate age and race with white hair and wearing blue jeans, a white T-shirt and carrying a battered old suitcase, Jones is a unique soul with near angelic qualities. Communicating what he calls “a little perspective,” Jones explains that he has been given a gift of noticing things about life that others miss. In his simple interactions, Jones speaks to that part in everyone that is yearning to understand why things happen and what they can do about it."
 I haven't yet read the book - I just found out about it - but watching this video intrigued me.



First, what a great idea!!!  To ponder and then contact the 5 most positively influential people in your life to let them know how they have influenced your life!  That could be very powerful in one's life!!  I wonder who mine are and would be??  Who have I influenced - would I be part of someone's 5???  How was I influenced by my family???

As a Christ-Follower, as I watched that video, I couldn't help but think "Who was / is Jones?"  Was he a real human.....an angel.....a demon?????  (Yes, they REALLY do exist!)  At first glance, you may think, "Well, it MUST HAVE been an angel!  How else could this guy have gone from homeless to influencing major famous people!"  But, allow me a little latitude.....

One thing I didn't hear on the video or read on the websites is anything about Jesus or even God.  I actually began to get a little bit of a sinking feeling the more I watched and read.  I may be WAY off base, but is The Noticer influencing people towards the Trinitarian, Loving, REAL God?  Or to somewhere, someone else?  Could this just be a distraction from pointing people to a loving, all-encompassing relationship with the Creator and His Son, Jesus Christ?

Jesus spoke clearly on this, " He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters" (Matt 12:30).  Also, every angel we read about in God's Word gives all glory to God and points us back to Him.  Did The Noticer do that?

As Believers, we MUST be discerning of what we allow to influence us.  There are lots of things out there that want to take us and our families down paths AWAY from the most important Thing.  I wonder if this movement is indeed a GOOD thing for Believers.  I think it CAN be, but.....

No comments:

Post a Comment