Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Indiscretion of Sports Figures

I'm a sports fan - BIG SHOCKER I know. So sports stories intrigued me. This month alone, in the world of sports:
  • we have made a convicted felon trying to find his way back onto a NFL Team (likely the Buffalo Bills);
  • a prominent Cleveland Browns Wide Receiver plead guiltily to killing a man while driving under the influence and get suspended for one full year from the NFL; and
  • a well-known and talented NCAA Men's college basketball coach get caught having had an affair and possibly paying her to get an abortion.
Why do I bring all these up? Not because of the publicity they get in the media and not because I'm sooooo concerned about the reputation of sports or sports figures. No, I bring it up because the standard statement when these guys were confronted, at least initially, is "I had a moment of indiscretion, and I'm sorry." Sounds sincere, right?

Let me define indiscretion: the trait of being injudicious. [Don't you love it when they do that?]

Let me define injudicious: lacking or showing lack of judgment or discretion; unwise.

Huh? Does that sound like admitting to doing anything wrong? Let me paraphrase, "I'm sorry I was unwise and apparently did not do a good enough job to hide it." The things these gentlemen did were wrong, they are sin! But instead they say "I'm sorry I got caught." Culture today, and possibly even the Church, barely sees this! We need to wake up and despite living in this Postmodern age, where objective truth does not exist, we should own up to the mistakes we make and expect others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment