Thursday, March 26, 2009

Just because you can...

...does that mean you should?  OK, so this was a rather random thought I had the other day.  I had gone to eat at Arby's and had one of their new Roast Beef Burger Sandwiches.  When I was finished, the mangager happend to ask what I thought:

Me:  "It was pretty good."

Arby's:  "Would you order it again."

Me:  "Ummm, probably not.  I'm a pretty big Beef 'n Cheddar and Marketfresh Reuben fan.  It's hard to pass those up."

So here's the deal.  Someone at Arby's thought up this idea, spent money on creating it and test marketing it long before releasing to the public.  It's a good sandwich, but is not something they will be known for any length of time.

My question/application is:  Just because you think a new food item could be created, and received well, should you do it?  When I think of a burger, I think of a flame-broiled burger with cheese, pickles, ketchup, mustard, etc....  It does not work!

Is that like any of our ministry programs?  Are there things we are doing or starting simply because we can?  Where does it fit in the overall vision or mission of the church?  I would encourage all of us to ask these questions before spending time and money into something that will, in the long run, not be something we are remembered by.

Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment