Monday, March 7, 2011

An Open Apology

Over the last few weeks the Lord has continued to reveal things in my life that are not honoring or glorifying Him.  Some of these has been family related, but some of this has been ministry related.  I balance many roles in my life: Husband, father, Children's Ministry Pastor, leader, follower, servant, and so on...  There are certain areas that I am better at than others and the Lord is bringing me along in the areas in which I fall short.

This may came as no shock to you, but at times my personality can come on pretty strong.  There are times when I want people to value the same things I value; to believe the same things I believe; to think the same way I think.  Of course, I think we all have similar thoughts within us - namely when it comes to our kids - and we do a lot of things to strive to make that happen.  But....

I owe you an apology!  Because no matter how we qualify our actions, there are times where we have acted unjustly and sinfully.  I'm intentionally leaving this vague as details are not the issue.  The issue is the heart, a love of God's people, and my desire to live out God's Word in Romans 12:18: "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."  So, for what it's worth...I have offended some of you - I was wrong - and I am sorry.


His, Dean

PS - Feel free to leave a comment if you've ever been in a position where you needed to apologize.  I'm sure we've all been there.

2 comments:

  1. My wife told me last night that I can be a bit of a know-it-all and condescending. I asked her to help me recognize when I'm doing that so I can change what may need changed. I don't want others to view me that way.

    Change is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same - that's a big reason I wrote this post. I come off too strong sometimes b/c I am passionate about kids and families and passing on our faith - that I offend people. I need to work on being more encouraging...

    ReplyDelete