Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Hate People!


Ahhhh, got your attention, didn't I.

This is a title of a book I heard about on my way to work this morning. It also has a corresponding website. The interview I heard on the radio was from one of the authors discussing some of the elements of the book. Briefly, it lists out 10 types of personalities that exist in the workplace and how to best interact with them. For instance, "Stop Sign" is someone who puts the kabosh on any and all creative ideas or thoughts - saying things like "I think you've had enough fun" or "You'll put an eye out with that thing."

There are dozens of books out there on this kind of topic; that is, how to relate to the differnet types of people in your work/school/family/world....

What makes this one interesting is that the authors chose the title for thier book, "I Hate People." There is an implication here that I don't agree with, nor do I think it is Biblical - that implied idea is that "I HATE the poeple who are not like me!" Think of it, why would "Stop Sign" bother you? Why would "Spreadsheet" bug you? The issues they would bring up are ones to be dealt with in business, ministry or life... We "hate" them because they are not like us, and whatever type WE may be. Afterall, all of us is one type or another, right? What if YOU are Mr. or Mrs. "Smiley Face?"

God's Word tells us something very different: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves" (Phil. 2:3). We are to put the needs of others before our own! I could go on, but you get the point.

In the way of recommending a good book on dealing with personality types, especially those in your church or business, check out "5 Dysfunctions of a Team" by Patrick Lencioni. Great book that helps us all realize what we bring, and don't bring, to the table.

Til next time, Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment